Local History Room
The City of Burnside operates a Local History Room within the library. This is a research room, items cannot be borrowed. Details of the library can be found on the City of Burnside website.
All of the publications listed below can be found in the Local History Room.
Local History Publications
- The First Hundred Years, edited by Dudley Coleman
- The Paddocks Beneath, by Elizabeth Warburton (also see Extended Index below)
- Five Creeks of the River Torrens, South Australia, edited by J.W. Warburton
- Speaking of the Past, by Elizabeth Warburton
- Burnside… Then and Now, by Barbara Crompton
- The Village of Beaumont, by J.B. Cleland
- The History and Topography of Glen Osmond, by Thomas Gill
- Celebrating Our 150 Years, City of Burnside
- The Glen Osmond silver-lead mines, South Australia: Australia’s first metalliferous mines, by Ross A. Both and Greg J. Drew
Burnside Historical Society Publications
- Burnside Street Names and their Origins
- Suburb Names in Burnside
- Survey of Plaques in the City of Burnside
- Self guided walking tour leaflets of Beaumont, Burnside village, Eastwood/Parkside, Glen Osmond, Knightsbridge (Leabrook), Rose Park and Waterfall Gully
- The Paddocks Beneath Extended Index. Experience has shown that the index at the back of the book has limitations. This Extended Index includes even the most minute references to people, including all family members – not just the family surname, name of the house and the suburb plus references to maps in the book. Trades and professions of the members are listed with dates of births. Cost $12, copies are available for inspection and purchase at our meetings or by contacting us.
- A short survey of the activities of the Burnside Historical Society from 1980 to 2013, by R House, 2013
- SA’s History Festival: historyfestival.sa.gov.au
- City of Burnside Library & Local History Room: www.burnside.sa.gov.au/Community-Recreation/Community-Venues/Burnside-Library
- State Library SA: www.slsa.sa.gov.au