Video produced about the history of Wheal Watkins Heritage Mine 1843

The recently produced video of the Wheal Watkins Mine was shown at our March meeting.

Wheal Watkins was part of Australia’s first metalliferous mining area. The area was worked in the 1840s and was the forerunner to the mining industry based on copper in SA. It transformed the economy of South Australia from depression to rapid growth and prosperity.

The video of the Wheal Watkins Mine has been produced by the Burnside Historical Society (BHS) with the support of the City of Burnside, and is part of our current Mines Project.

Burnside Historical Society events for the SA History Festival

Official programmes are now available from Drakes supermarkets and online for this year’s May History Festival.

Now is the time to check out the programme of over 500 events and to make your bookings for what promises to be a busy and enjoyable month for history lovers.

BHS History Festival Events

Once again, we will be an active contributor to the History Festival with our five events. Our May meeting is detailed above and the other four are listed briefly below.

  1. Guided Walk of Dulwich: “Revealing the Secrets of Dulwich” with Polly Dundon (Sat 4 May, 10 -12noon)
  2. Guided Walk: “Eastwood: Burnside’s smallest suburb” with Ally Preiss (Tues 7 May, 10am – 12noon)
  3. Talk in the Burnside Library “The Bald Hills of Burnside” with speaker: Colin Harris (Thurs 9 May, 6.30pm – 8.00pm)
  4. Talk and Walk: “The Glen Osmond Mines with a focus on Wheal Watkins” commencing with a talk in the Burnside Library and then a walk at the Mine. (Mon 13 May, 10-12.30pm)

You can find full details, including booking arrangements, in the links above or in the official History Festival print Programme on pages 32 and 33.


April Bulletin

April, 2024 (Issue. 4)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, April, 2024, cover
  • New video about the history of Wheal Watkins Heritage Mine
  • Meeting the History and Cultural Officer, the City of Burnside
  • SA History Festival


March Bulletin

March, 2024 (Issue. 3)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, March, 2024, cover
  • AGM on Monday 15 April
  • 2024 BHS Programme for 2024 available now
  • Annual subscriptions can be paid now


February Bulletin

February, 2024 (Issue. 2)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, February, 2024, cover
  • Lunch at the Kensi and the story of a pub robbery in 1841
  • AGM 15th April 2024
  • Latest News from the Mines Subcommittee


January Bulletin

January, 2024 (Issue. 1)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, January, 2024, cover
  • The Historic Village of Kensington
  • For Your 2024 Diary


Burnside Historical Society Journal 2023

December, 2023

Burnside Historical Society journal, December, 2023, cover
  • President’s Reflections
  • Heritage and Historical Issues
  • Wheal Watkins: Light at the end of the adit
  • Meetings throughout 2023
  • Fire in the Hills
  • The History of Dawley
  • Burnside's Bald Hills
  • Why is there an olive oil mill in Wood Park?
  • Eastwood: Burnside's Smallest Suburb
  • The Glen Osmond Toll House: the story of it's last keep John Walker
  • What is happening with local history at Burnside Library
  • The ongoing story of the Burnside Historical Society: Memories of our past 2011-2018


December Bulletin

December, 2023 (Issue. 11)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, December, 2023, cover
  • The Programme for 2024
  • News from the BHS Committee


November Bulletin

November, 2023 (Issue. 11)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, November, 2023, cover
  • October Meeting Report: William Wyatt (1804-1806)
  • BHS Outing to historic sites at Grange
  • Bob Stace Awarded Honorary Life Membership
  • Mines Project Making Progress
  • Book launch: “Where Treasures Shine: Lional Gee, South Australia’s forgotten mining identity” December 11th


October Bulletin

October, 2023 (Issue. 10)

Burnside Historical Society bulletin, October, 2023, cover
  • Report on Horse Drawn Vehicles: transport from the past
  • Report on Guided Walk in Wheal Watkins Reserve